Our Response to COVID-19
A Word About Best Practices for Prevention of Illness
Dear Beloved Community,
We are aware of increasing concern surrounding reports of a new virus this year. The “Novel Coronavirus” or COVID-19, first detected in China, has now spread internationally. Church Mutual is keeping us abreast of the situation, and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) note that “most people in the US have little immediate risk of exposure” to the virus at this time. Both organizations offer action steps to take during the days ahead.
At our Gatherings, this means we will avoid shaking hands and will discuss alternate means of greeting one another. We will also observe the following helpful reminders that always help us during the spread of any illness.
The following Action Steps are adapted from the CDC website:
- Stay informed – the situation with the coronavirus is fluid and the CDC is updating its website daily with the latest information and advice for the public.
- Take these daily preventive actions to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible. Please stay home if you are sick. (If you are unable to stay home due to concerns over loss of employment, wear a mask while you are ill). If you are immuno-compromised, consider wearing a mask when you are in public spaces.
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze. Cough into the bend of your arm rather than your hand. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as this is how germs spread.
- Be sure to clean and disinfect surfaces and objects (e.g., door knobs, counters, toys, etc.) that may be contaminated with germs. Also, carry sanitizer to clean your hands after day to day activities like handling a gas pump or using a shopping cart.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub with at least 60% alcohol.
Note: Our Meditation on Breathing (2 verses) is around 20 seconds if you’d like to sing while you wash!
When I breathe in, I breathe in peace;
When I breathe out, I breathe out love. (Repeat)